Introduction to 2D hand drawn Animation.
ACE – Technical Workshop Descriptor
Technical Instruction Area:
Animation - Stop Motion Studios
Academic Programme/Level/Workshop code:
BA2 - Exploring Animation
Room Number: 4B02, 4B03
Maximum Numbers Possible: 15
Key processes/Technologies covered
Duration of Workshop
Dates and times of workshop
Thursday 6th Feb 2014 - Group A - 10.00 - 1.00
Group B - 2.00 - 5.00
New language and Vocational terms introduced
Line testing – peg bar – field guide/graticule – aspect ratio – numbering conventions – registration – key frame –in between – line fidelity – boil.
Technical Learning Objectives:
This workshop introduces students to the established and recognised tools, equipment and production pipeline used when animating sequences using traditional hand drawn techniques. Students are guided through the key steps in setting up and using industry standard tools, equipment and specialist studio furniture provided for their use in the animation drawing studio (4B001) They will also be introduced to key health and safety issues and the established studio users policy to be adhered to when using this studio space.
A comprehensive training session is followed by a practical studio session. Students will be set a non assessed short group project which focuses on the key stages and production strategies used to manage and develop a hand drawn sequence of animation.
Associated Module Outcomes:
Students on this module should be given training and support in the following:
• extending their understanding of animation;
• Helping them to develop an understanding of cinematic and animation narrative;
• Developing an awareness of animation production methodologies and
• developing ideas specific to animation with regard to the practical
• limitations encountered when relating process to concept;
• Exploring their creative potential through animation;
• Develop skills in animation production and audio design;
• Becoming familiar with technologies necessary for the production of
• their animation
This workshop will cover the following key topics: